Monday, May 26, 2008
Sharvey New Wave Mix
I created this mix as a good-bye present for my friend, Sarah Harvey, who, after three years, was leaving her commercial post production job to pursue film editing work of a more independent nature.
She asked for a new wave mix and the first thing I had to ask myself was, what is new wave? At some point in the late '70's, punk music morphed into new wave, probably as a way of making it sound friendlier. By the early '80's new wave meant something vaguely silly - Wham and Duran Duran and Kakajoojoo. That's when I tuned out.
But, as I put this mix together, I found a bunch of songs I hadn't listened to in a while that I really liked. Seems like new wave may not have been so bad. The best of it was a very cool combination of power pop and disco. So go ahead, have fun, dance. I will not disapprove.
Personal PS: My band. W-2, opened for Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark one night at Hurrah. OMD didn't speak to us.
1. Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood
2. Red Skies - The Fixx
3. Enola Gay - OMD
4. New Gold Dream - Simple Minds
5. Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
6. She Bop - Cyndi Lauper
7. Goodbye to You - Scandal
8. Ca Plane Pour Moi - Plastic Bertrand
9. Mind Your Own Business - Delta 5
10. When You Were Mine - Christina
11. I Want Money - Flying Lizards
12. TVOD - The Normal
13. Time (Clock of the Heart) - Culture Club
14. True - Spandau Ballet
15. The Paris Match (Tracy Version)
16. Sugar Hiccup - Cocteau Twins
17. Say Hello, Wave Goodbye - Soft Cell
SHARVEY NEW WAVE MIX